Prof. Bibhuti Bhusan Biswal, Director NIT Meghalaya
- B.E., Mechanical Engineering, from University College of Engineering, Burla, Orissa. 1985
- M.E., Mechanical Engineering (Specialization- Production Engineering, from University College of Engineering, Burla, Orissa.1990
- Ph.D., (Area: Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing) from Jadavpur University, Kolkata,1998
National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
Professor( HAG )
National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
Field of Specialization:
Production Engineering (FMS, Robotics, Mechatronics, CIM, CAD/CAM), Optimization Techniques in Production Engineering, Product Design, Rapid Product Development, Quality Engineering
Field of Research Interest:
FMS, CAD/CAM, Robotics, Mechatronics, CIM, AMT, Virtual Manufacturing, Production Management,
Experience in Teaching and Research: 32 years
Work experience and knowledge: Joined as lecturer in Mechanical Engineering in University College of Engineering, Burla in May, 1986, promoted to the post of Senior Lecturer in May 1992 and subsequently to the post of Reader in Mechanical Engineering in April, 1997. Joined as Professor at National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, Orissa, India in April 2004. Worked in the field of conventional production engineering, discretization methods in analysis of production processes. Had some initial training in CNC machine tools (part programming and operation). Extensively worked in the areas of CAD/CAM, Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing. Undergone extensive and specialised training on operation and control of Robots at BARC, Trombay. Undergone training on modeling and simulation of robots, robotic workcells and factory floors at DENEB, Bangalore. Underwent Management Capacity Development Programme at MDI, Gurgaon. Underwent Corporate Governance Management Training conducted by Department of Public Enterprises, Government of India, at New Delhi.
Related Skills and Experience:
- Design and Development: Developed (a) a mechatronic press for use in robotic assembly cell, (b) sensor-based robotic work cell for parts assembly, (c) an FMS setup for teaching and training (d) a SCARA manipulator(SMUCE 7545), (e) integrated manufacturing cell (f) force sensor for robotic manipulator and (g) robot grippers
- Software tools: Special software tools such as ANSYS, ADAMS, AutoCAD, MATLAB, Labtech Note Book, Matrox Vision, Master CAM, CATIA, ProE, QUEST, IGRIP, GRASP, VNC, CIM (Denford), Walli (Feedback) and quite a good number of general purpose software tools like MS Office, Visual Studio. MATLAB etc.
- Laboratory Development:
- Development of Robotics and Flexible Automation Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCE, Burla
- Development of Metal Machining Laboratory, Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, UCE, Burla
- Development of CAD/CAM Laboratory, Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, UCE, Burla
- Development of Nonconventional Machining Laboratory, Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, UCE, Burla
- Modernization of Central Workshop, UCE Burla and NIT Rourkela
- Development of Language Laboratory, NIT Rourkela
- Development of Product Design and Development Laboratory, Department of Industrial Design, NIT Rourkela
- Development of Creative Automation Laboratory, Department of Industrial Design, NIT Rourkela
- Development of Art and Aesthetics Design Laboratory, Department of Industrial Design, NIT Rourkela
- Development of CAD Laboratory, Department of Industrial Design, NIT Rourkela
- Development of Ergonomic Engineering Laboratory, Department of Industrial Design, NIT Rourkela
Research Publications::More than 150 publications at various national and international levels including a monogram on Management Information System for ISTE, New Delhi and 7 Book Chapters.
Patents Filed/Obtained: 05
Guidance and Supervision:
M.E. / M.Tech: 45
M.Tech. (R): 06
Ph.D.: 23 (Completed - 18, Continuing - 05)
Research and Other Projects Completed
- AICTE TAPTEC Project on “Flexible Manufacturing System” - 1996-1998
- UGC Project on “Integrated Manufacturing” - 1998-2000
- DST Project on “Virtual Manufacturing using Information Technology” - 1999
- AICTE TAPTEC Project on “Manufacture of Wear Resistant Materials through Powder Metallurgical Process” – 1999
- AICTE MODROBS Project on “Modernization of Central Computer Facility” – 1999-2002
- AICTE MODROBS Project on “Modernization of Metal Machining Laboratory” – 2000
- BRNS Project on “Development of Laser Sensor Based Robotic System for Producing Quality Welds” – 2016- Continuing
- Design and Development of an Intelligent System for Motion Control of Robotic Arms in Multi Robot Environment- Industry Sponsored Project – 2017- Continuing
- Professor I/c, Central Computer Facility : 1998 - 2000
- Professor I/c, Central Transport Facility : 2000 - 2002
- Member, Committee for Purchase of Computers and Peripherals
- Member, Project Advisory Committee, UCE, Burla
- Member, Research and Development Committee, UCE, Burla
- Member, Academic Advisory Committee, IIPM, Kansbahal, Rourkela, Orissa
- Head, Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, UCE, Burla
- Vice Chairman, Joint Entrance Examination (Engg. & Medical), Orissa– 2002
- Head, Training and Placement, NIT, Rourkela, 2004 - 2015
- Co-coordinator, TEQIP( World Bank funded Project) , NIT, Rourkela, 2007 - 2011
- Head, Technology Innovation and Industry Relations, NIT Rourkela, 2009 - 2017
- Member, Board of Governors, NIT Rourkela, 2010 - 2012
- Member, Building and Works Committee, NIT Rourkela, 2010 - 2012
- Independent Director, Bharat Coking Coal Limited (BCCL), 2011 - 2014
- Professor and Head, Department of Industrial Design, NIT, Rourkela, 2011 – 2015
- Dean(Faculty Welfare), NIT Rourkela, 2015 – 2017
- Director, NIT Meghalaya, May 2017- Continuing
- Fellow, IE (I)
- Member, ASME
- Sr. Member, IEEE
- Life Member, ISTE
- Life Member, Association for Machines and Mechanisms(AMM)
- Member, ISTAM
- Member, International Association of Computer Science and Information Technology (IACSIT)
- Member, International Association of Engineers (IAENG)
- Symbiotic Relationship between Institutes and Industries, REC Rourkela, 1998
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing, IIPM Kansbahal, 2005
- Next Generation Manufacturing and Information Technology, UCE Burla, 2008
- Intelligent Robot, Sambalpur University, 2009.
- Keynote Speaker, ICACC, 2009 (IEEE Conference), Singapore
- Keynote Speaker, ICCET, 2009 (IEEE Conference), Singapore
- Keynote Speaker, ICROM, 2014 (IACSIT Conference), Nottingham, UK
- Keynote Speaker, Materials for Future, National Seminar on "Recent Developments in Composite and Nanomaterials (RDCN-2015)" February 2015, Bhubaneswar.
Other Academic and Outreach Activities
- Visiting Scientist, Department of Remote Handling and Robotics, BARC, Trombay, 1995
- Visiting Professor, Moscow Technological University, Stankin, May 2001.
- Visiting Scientist, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, South Korea, 2006
- Expert Member, BOS (Mechanical and Manufacturing)
- Expert Member, Committee for Restructuring of Syllabi in Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
- Member/Chairman, Accreditation Team, National Board of Accreditation
- Expert Member, Selection of Scientists, DRDO
- Visiting Academician, Loughborough University, United Kingdom
- Visiting Academician, De Montfort University, United Kingdom
- Chief Guest Editor, Automation, Control and Intelligent Systems
- Reviewer of Journals, IJMT, IJPR, IMechE and more
- Recipient of National Scholarship, 1979
- Recipient of SAIL Scholarship, 1981
- Stood Second in Intermediate of Science, Sambalpur University, 1981
- Stood First in M.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering (Specialization: Production Engineering), Sambalpur University, 1990
- Recipient of Erasmus Mundus Fellowship, 2014
- Engineering Congress IE(I) Award, 2016
- Brundaban Sahu Memorial Gold Awrad, 2016
- School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University, Leicester, UK
- Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava (STU), Vazovova, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
- Coordinator, National Workshop on Industry-Institute Interaction (NWIII), November 30- December 2, 2006 at National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- Coordinator, National Workshop on Pedagogy for Engineering Education, November 10-12, 2008
- Coordinator, National Workshop on Pedagogy for Engineering Education, February 7-9, 2009
- Coordinator, National Seminar on Industry-Institute Partnership(IIP), May1-2, 1997 at University College of Engineering, Burla
- Coordinator, National Seminar on Business Process Re-engineering using Information Technology (BPRIT), held during September 6-7, 1998 at University College of Engineering, Burla.
- Coordinator, Short Term Training Programme on Recent Developments in Manufacturing and Materials Processing, December 18-30, 2000 at University College of Engineering, Burla.
- Convener, Industry-Institute Interaction Programme(IIP) – 2002, UCE, Burla
- Chairman, National Level Students’ Seminar ” Manufacturing-2002” , UCE, Burla
- Chairman, Technical Session in International seminar on Mechanical Engineering,(ICME-2001) Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Honor Chair, ICCNT, 2009 (IEEE Conference), Chennai, India
- Honor Chair, ICMEE, 2009(IEEE Conference), Chennai, India
- Honor Chair, International Conference on Software Technology and Engineering (ICSTE 2009) Chennai, India. July 24-26, 2009
- Session Chair, ICACC, 2009 (IEEE Conference), Singapore
- Session Chair, SASE International Conference, 2015, Las Vegas, USA
Professional Achievements and Contributions
- As Head, Manufacturing Science & Engineering at VSSUT, Burla, Odisha (1999 – 2004)
- Established New Laboratories on –
- Metal Machining
- Non-Conventional Machining
- Robotics and FMS
- Developed a SCARA Robot (SMUCE-1000) with 10 Kg payload in collaboration with Shiballoy Multiflex, Bhubaneswar.
- Motivated faculty members for attracting sponsored projects and carrying out research work. These resulted in receiving three sponsored projects and research guidance at Doctoral levels. Previous to this there was no sponsored project in the Department and doctoral research work was never carried out.
- As Head, Training & Placement Centre, NIT, Rourkela (2004 – Till Date)
- Prepared Placement Policy of the Institute.
- Introduced multiple level job concepts.
- Introduced Automation for Placement Activities.
- Initiated Foreign Internship program under (Summer Internship and Research Experience).
- Achieved sustainable growth in Placement of students and paid Internship program.
- As Coordinator, TEQIP, NIT, Rourkela (2006 – 2010)
- Implemented the World Bank funded project successfully.
- It may be mentioned that NIT, Rourkela was the last Centrally Funded Institute to receive the project. But due to successful and timely implementation of the project, NIT, Rourkela was ranked 1st by the World Bank for project implementation on the basis of a number of performance audit and financial audit.
- This qualified NIT, Rourkela for receiving the next phase of the project (TEQIP-II) along with two Centres of Excellence. No other institute in India has been awarded with two Centres of Excellence.
- As Head, Industrial Design, NIT, Rourkela (2011 – 2015)
- Founder faculty and Head of the Department
- Designed a new curriculum in consultation with other Institutes / Universities and related industries.
- Established new laboratories viz.
- Product Design and Development Laboratory
- Creative Automation Laboratory
- CAD Laboratory
- Art & Aesthetics Laboratory
- Ergonomics Laboratory
- Attracted industrial consultancy in the areas of Product Design & Prototype Building.
- Collaborated with Indian product industries and international universities for the benefit of the faculty and especially of the students.
- As Independent Director, Bharat Coking Coal Ltd, Dhanbad (2011 – 2014)
- Contributed towards improving the Operation & Maintenance of Heavy Earth Moving Machinery (HEMM) and the ideas given resulted in improving utilization of HEMM and enhancing the productivity.
- Introduced the Concept of Maintenance and Rate Contract (MARC) in the procurement process of heavy and costly machineries that improved the reliability and guaranteed performance.
- Monitored the Green Channels successfully.
Results: BCCL which was under BIFR and had a target to come out of BIFR by May, 2015 could come out as a profitable company in November, 2013.
- As Head, Centre for Technology Innovation and Industry Relations (TIIR), NIT, Rourkela (2012 – Till Date)
- Prepared the policy document for the Centre, for Incubation and for establishing Nodal R&D Centres by Industries.
- Collaborated with Government Agencies and Industries for funding and collaborating.
- One project received from MSME Department, Government of India. Three projects being actively considered by Government of Odisha.
- One project received from MHRD-DST, Government of India for setting up of Incubation Centre.
- One project received from Government of India for setting up of TBI.
- One project received from Planning and Coordination Department, Government of Odisha for setting up of Innovation Centre
- One proposal submitted to Skill Development for creating Skill Development Centre.
- Three companies have initiated the process of setting up their R&D Centres.
- Six Incubatees have been admitted and others’ applications are under consideration.
- Faculty, Staff and Students are involved and exposed to the Real World challenges.
- As Dean(Faculty Welfare), NIT, Rourkela
- Prepared the policy document for utilization of Professional Development Allowance(PDA), Faculty Development Allowance(FDA) and Department Development Allowance(DDA). Collaborated with Government Agencies and Industries for funding and collaborating.
- As Chairman Advisory Committee for Faculty Recruitment (ACoFaR) at NIT Rourkela; proactively searched for faculty, conducted scrutiny and coordinated the entire recruitment process of faculty recruitment.
- Developed procedures and policies for recruitment and deployment of officers and other staff in the institute. The application and scrutiny process are made on-line and transparent.